TRY THIS AT HOME
- Devon squab pie
- steak bavette with tarragon and mustard mayonnaise
- baida roti stuffed with chilli potatoes and served with goats’ cheese dumplings and balsamic honey sauce
- lamb loin with ras el hanout
- cinnamon and chestnut apple crumble with crème anglaise
- bread and butter pudding with marmalade and cardamom custard
- lime and ginger rice pudding with sweet breadcrumb topping
- Terry the tattooed mechanic: it would be brilliantly subversive if he won with his winning flavour combinations, a bit like Fred the taxi driver winning University Challenge some years back.
- Dawn the witchcraft merchant, who works on updating 17th-century recipes for this century.
- Jack: the boy with the One Direction-style quiff whose superficial hairstyle belies his culinary skill.
- Ping’s wonderful fusion food, harking back to her Malaysian origins, makes her one to watch.
- Ben (with the beard) lets his passion for Indian food shine through, again creating fusions, although this time with European cuisine.